Wednesday, April 25, 2012

floral tutorial


This is sort of a tutorial!

I recently spent over a week making five linen jackets, and I needed a fast and easy project that didn't use my own printed fabric because it is so "precious" and things made from it have to be expensive.

I had this vintage fabric in my donation pile.  It reminds me of a couch from my childhood.  I must have overdyed it at some point.



You can see some pesky red dye dots, but I still made five simple bias short skirts, fitted, with zippers.  I hope to sell them to the fit women who shop at my local farmers market, starting in May.

I will now show you how I made flowers to cover up spots!

I roughly cut out different flowers from the scraps, and stitched around their petals.  Then cut around the petals about 1/8" outside of the stitching.



I used a glue stick to hold them to the fabric, and sometimes put another on top.



I stitched through all the layers, down the middle of the petals.


After clipping the threads, I washed and dried the skirt to create texture.



I also added some on the hems.



So my simple project has become more elaborate, in fact this could go on for a very long time.  I will take pictures of the finished skirts soon.

1 comment: